Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I've Become a True African

 Poor Goats
Elder Radmall, Goat Slayer
(Note from Bryan's mom.  Several years ago we went to NYC and visited our favorite deli, Zabar's.  They have open barrels of pickles, olives and fish and a fresh meat counter.  When Byran got into the store and smelled all of those smells he ran out gagging and saying he was going to be sick.  He is not that boy anymore!!)

Happy Birthday America! 240 years old. Amazing.
          We have had quite the week! Ghana also celebrated a national holiday recently. On Friday it was Republic Day. In honor of the occasion, our ward (which is seriously full of rich people) bought not one but two goats! Now let me explain. Goat meat is for some reason the most desirable of all meats in Ghana. They are obsessed with it. I can also testify that it is one of the strongest scented meats available. And these were not dead goats. They were still alive and kicking! That meant I got to learn how to kill a goat. And not only did I get to learn how to do it, but I, Elder Radmall, killed a goat. I guess I can cross that one off of my bucket list. The whole celebration was a blast. I loved being able to cook, joke, laugh, and eat with our awesome ward. I have come to love these people with all of my heart. And the food was quite delicious I might add. It was so good in fact, that everybody went home and slept and nobody came to the missionary devotional we were supposed to have... oops. Haha that shows you just how much we enjoyed ourselves. 
          My new companion, Elder Kallon, is awesome! He is a great cook. He has been teaching me how to make some nice dishes. I can't wait to come home and cook African food for all of you. But be warned, about half of any soup or stew they make here is pure oil. It has onions and tomato paste though, so I think we can say it is healthy. Elder Kallon also loves working hard and he is constantly looking for opportunities to serve others. I am grateful to be with him and to learn from him. 
          This week I prepared a talk for the missionary devotional we were supposed to have. I centered the talk around finding peace through both living and sharing the Gospel. As I searched the scriptures and read through some General Conference talks it became clear that the only way to true and lasting peace in this life and in the life to come is through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As we focus on Him we find clarity and strength to deal with any challenge that mortality might bring our way. I am so grateful to be blessed by that Gospel each day. I am grateful to be able to share that Gospel each day. What better way to find peace in our own lives than to "proclaim peace" to the world. I love my Savior. Truly, He is the "Prince of Peace". 
          This week we will look forward to three baptisms on Saturday (all of the candidates come from part member families)! I will let you know how that goes.
          I miss you all like crazy! I hope that you are all doing super great. Enjoy celebrating the birth of America! If I have calculated it correctly, my plane should be landing in the US on this very day next year. Thanks for all that you do! I love y'all!
Love,
Elder Radmall

 Roasting Goat
My new companion, Elder Thomas Kallon

Questions from Momma:
Q. What does Elder Kallon like to cook?
Stews, soups, and rice. 
Q. How old was he when he lost his parents?
His father died about 8 years ago, and his mother passed away 3 years ago.
Q. What is your favorite hymn?
Currently it is hymn 37, "The Wintry Day Descending to its Close". 
Q. How will you celebrate the 4th?  (Sorry – I really fell down on sending you decorations!!)
Well I made American pancakes this morning and even shared it with our neighbors. Then I played the Star Spangled Banner. And now I am thinking about going to buy some ice cream.

Questions from Christie:
Q. What made you happy this week?
We have an investigator named Bernice. Most of her family are members of the church, but she has never felt the need to baptize. In the course of our lessons with her she finally came to feel the need to enter the waters of baptism and to receive the Holy Ghost. This Saturday she is going to be baptized! 
Q. What is your favorite scripture this week? 
Matthew 11:26... I think. (I think he might have meant verse 28.)  If I remembered right, this is the Savior offering us His peace. It is a peace beyond anything this world can offer us.
Q. Who made your life better this week?
My wonderful companion who taught me how to make my favorite food in Ghana, groundnut soup.
Q. What was the best lesson you taught this week? 
Some members in our ward have a nine year old girl living with them who has not been baptized. This week we got to go to their home and to teach all of their children. It was so awesome to teach them about Joseph Smith and then to sing all of my favorite primary songs with them.
Q. Who can we pray for this week in your mission  (besides you of course)?
Sister Heid, our dear mission mother, has been very sick lately. I am sure she could use some prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment