Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Physical and Spiritual Feasting

 My companion's outfit when he was helping the Red Cross during the Ebola crisis.
Elder Kallon before his mission.

Hello dear people!
          I hope that all of you have had a fantastic week. My own was pretty great. This week I did a lot of feasting. First I will talk about the food. On Wednesday evening at the end of a very successful day of proselyting, a member in our ward prepared us some delicious rice and kontombre stew. Kontombre stew is made using a leaf that comes coco yam plants. It is quite delicious. On Friday evening we had an appointment at our elder's quorum president's home. His name is Jeffery and his father is the chief of Nungua. Their compound is huge. I am pretty sure like 80 people could be living there comfortably. His wife made us more rice, this time with a classic tomato stew and chicken. After finishing everything on my plate I was sick. Then she came back and insisted that I eat more... and then I drank half a liter of water. Riding home that night was a struggle. Finally, on Saturday morning Sister Adjei (who absolutely spoils us) called us to come and eat ebba (a Nigerian dish made of ground cassava) and a lovely veggie stew. The members in Nungua are simply amazing and I love them a lot. Also African food is very heavy and I might way 300 pounds when I get home. Oh well.
          Putting the food aside, my week was also full of spiritual feasting! I am absolutely in love with the scriptures. It's kind of weird how much I love them. This week I had the chance to study quite a bit of the book of Matthew. What better way to invite the spirit than to study the life of the Savior? I love all of his teachings and His acts of kindness. One story that has always stood out to me is the woman who had an issue of blood. This daughter of God had spent years suffering from the physical as well as the mental pains that resulted from her disease. As the Savior was walking to raise Jairus' daughter from the dead (also amazing!) this amazing woman had enough faith to believe that by simply touching His clothing she could be healed. As soon as she touched the hem of His robe, she was made clean. What a great example to us! If we will have faith like this woman to draw near unto the Savior we too can be cleansed! He is the bread of life. When we partake of the feast He offers we will never hunger.
          I love you all! Thanks for all that you do. Have a blessed week! I am praying for you all and I feel your prayers working on me.
Love,
Elder Radmall

 Gabriel's baptism (he is on the left. Brother Ken on the right.)
Black Star

Questions from Mom:
Q. Please tell about a Ghana tradition that you have not mentioned previously?
It is common courtesy to serve people water when they come to your home. Some days I drink probably 5 liters of water. It also means we have to pee a lot. And you can't turn it down.
Q. Are there libraries in Ghana?
Yes. Not many, but some.
Q. Describe one convert – family, job, lesson taught, etc.
This week we visited our recent converts Princess and Theresa. Princess is a 9 year old girl who is waaaay too smart for her own good and Theresa is her sweet grandma. This week I shared with them the story of  God protecting Elijah and his servant with an army of fire. 
Q. Do you use butter in the brownies you make?  Where do you get it?
I am very blessed to be right by the mall. I can get butter there surprisingly cheap.
Q. Can you send a photo of Gabriel’s baptism?  How old is Gabriel?  (I love that name – the angel who in this life was known as Noah!!)
He turned 18 on the day of his baptism.
Q. We have a lot of weddings coming up.  Tell me something about weddings in Ghana.
Wow! Marriage is so stinking hard in Ghana. Before a man can even think of getting married he has to save up a huge sum of money just for the wedding. Some men put themselves into massive debt to have their weddings. 

 Banku
Toe surgery complete. 

Questions from TeriAnn:
What is the strangest creature you saw this week?
This week it was just a giant cockroach while I was hanging my laundry.
Q. How is your companion doing?
He is super!
Q. Any rain this week?
Yes! It rained for the first time in a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment