Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Giant spiders, oh my!!

 Sports with Kpong zone.
 Giant highly poisonous spider (the size of a hand.)
Dead giant spider.

Dear Family and Friends,
          How is it going? I hope you all had a spectacular week. I know that I sure did. Elder Itepu and I had a lot of great lessons with some wonderful people. On Friday I went on an exchange with Elder Krofuah, our zone leader. It was great to learn from him and his style of teaching. We have three investigators right now who all work in a sewing shop together. Sisters Victoria, Fostina, and Felicia. They are great to teach and have all accepted baptismal dates for next month! Two of them have even come to church twice. I am not sure just how serious Fostina and Felicia are, but I am hopeful that they will be baptized. Sister Victoria, on the other hand, loves the church and our doctrine. It is such a good feeling to share an eternal truth with someone and to have them respond positively to it. This week we met a lot of drunk people. That is always an exciting and sometimes humorous experience. It makes me very grateful for the Word of Wisdom and a modern day prophet to keep us on the straight and narrow path. Follow the prophet! 
          This week was our District Conference. It was a delight! In attendance were President and Sister Heid and Elder Koranteng of the Seventy. It was great to hear their insights and their council for the district. I really felt the spirit in our Sunday session, and we even had three investigators there!
          The most exciting part of our week happened on Tuesday night. Elder Bodily was searching for something in his wardrobe when he let out a cry. He ran from his room with a very pale face. I asked what was wrong and he informed me that there was a spider the size of his hand in his wardrobe. I thought he was lying. He wasn't. It was by far the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life!! Elder Bodily and I ran around screaming while the other two elders dealt with the spider for us. Later in the week we learned that that type of spider is incredibly poisonous to the point that its bite will kill you in around an hour. How terrifying!
          This week I am grateful for the priesthood. I know that is has been restored to the earth. It is God's power. He has blessed me to have it in my life. I have seen the priesthood bring myself and so many others closer to the Savior. Always have faith in the priesthood. As long as we are worthy and obey the commandments we shall receive blessings through the priesthood.
          I love all of you and I pray that you find joy in this week. Remember that someone in Ghana is thinking of you regularly. Thank you all for the great people that you are. I love and miss y'all!

Love, Elder Radmall


Questions from Mom
Q. What do the people in your branch do for a living?
Some are tailors, some own little shops, and some are farmers. A few members are really rich by Ghana's standards, and I am not quite sure what they do. 
Q. What type of education do they get?
From what I have seen, much of the older population has a low level of education, but the rising generation is improving. Most finish through high school.
Q. How many, if any, have gone to college?
Quite a few of the younger church members go to some college or at least some sort of technical training.
Q. Do all of the children in Ghana go to school?
Almost all of them do, especially in the city.
Q. Can they all read and write?
The younger generation mostly can. A lot of the older people struggle.
Q. Are they taught any computer skills?
Not really. 
Q. How often do you have power – most of the day, part of the day, most of the week?
We have been blessed recently. We have power (they call it light) most of the time. There are usually a few hours out of the day when it goes out though.

Questions from TeriAnn
Q. Why have they not operated on your toe yet?
I need Sister Sanders (our mission nurse) to look at it first.
Q. What are you looking forward to this week?
I want to buy some candy to give to some of the kids I see a lot. I look forward to seeing their faces when I give it to them.
Q. Who sewed the Ghanaian clothing for you?
A random tailor on the roadside. There are tailors all over the place here.
Q. What was the most random thing that happened to you this week?
When Sister Rosslyn gave us gummy Jolly Ranchers. I'm pretty excited about it.
Q. What was the best spiritual moment for you this week?
I reread Alma the Younger's conversion story this week. He speaks of how great his joy was in receiving forgiveness for his sins. I realized that through the Savior I can experience the same forgiveness and help others taste the joy of repentance.
Q. What is the biggest spider and the biggest bug you have seen there?
The one in our apartment this week! It was terrifying!! I might have screamed for like five minutes straight.
Q. Do people have any pets there?
Not really. Except for the ones they plan to kill and eat. Haha just kidding. They have cats and dogs all over the place here.
Q. Is there anything that scares you in or about Ghana?
Mostly sanitation. You never know if the food you are eating is really safe or not, but at least it usually tastes good.

Questions from Christie
Q. Do you sing with this companion like you did the last? 
Sadly, not really.
Q. What is your favorite hymn?
Right now I love There is Sunshine in my Soul Today.
Q. What do they eat for dessert in Ghana?
Haha, they really don't have dessert. It's the saddest thing. Ghanaians don't like sweet things.
Q. What made you laugh this week?
When I boiled some chicken too long and it was pretty much only bones left

No comments:

Post a Comment