Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Eat Like an American

 Le Burger (Am I in Ghana?)
Happy Birthday Elder Asare

Hello to all my people!
          I hope that all is well. I have enjoyed another great week in Ghana. A few days ago I was thinking of how I have grown and changed since coming to Ghana. Though I am still the same old Elder Radmall, my mission has taught many great lessons that I will draw upon for the rest of my life. I have become more patient, mature, charitable, and Christ-like. I still have a looooong ways to go, but I feel I am moving in the right direction. I have started to realize how very short two years really is. I only have about ten months left to give my all as a full time missionary to God and the people of Ghana! Heavenly Father knew exactly what He was doing when He called me here. My mission has been exactly the experience I needed to grow.
          Our investigators are continuing to grow. Bro. Fortunate has had his drinking under control for about two weeks now! Bro. Godsway traveled, but he should be back this week so we can continue preparing him for baptism. Sister Selina came to church yesterday and still loves to learn. She can now write her first and last name no problemo! We want to start focusing on helping her to learn the alphabet a little better. Sister Joyce, who was baptized about two months ago, has been struggling lately. She has had legal problems with her house for years and they just gave her notice that she has to leave this week. She is going to court today to try and work things out, but I can tell she is very worried. We will continue praying for her.
          This week was full of very wonderful and very American food. On Tuesday after our district council meeting we went to Chix n' Ribs. It is an American restaurant at the mall here. On Tuesdays they have a deal where you can get ten wings for ten cedis (About $2.50). Oh man was that a little taste of heaven! Then on Saturday night our district decided to celebrate the birth of Elder Asare. We made cheeseburgers and onion rings. They were divine and worthy of the celestial kingdom. And finally, to conclude the week, on Sunday we got back together for brownies, mint chocolate ice cream, and hot fudge. I was speechless. Did we spend too much money? Definitely. Was it worth it? You bet.
          That is about it for this week. I hope that you all know I love and miss your guts. Thanks for all you do and for loving and supporting me. Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Radmall

Brother Joel (a recent convert) and Elder Kallon
Brother Joel is from Nigeria, but he is currently attending the Maritime University here in Ghana. Elder Kambwiri and I baptized him about five months ago. He is completely devoted to God and the church. He has a burning testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. He is considering trying to serve a mission before he passes the age limit. He is just cool and fun to be around.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. Have you been sick at all lately?
Not really. I am healthy and happy!
Q. What is the weather like there right now?
This week has been pretty hot, but right now it is overcast and a bit cooler.
Q. What is your favorite part of the culture in Ghana?
Just how open and welcoming everyone is. I can walk up to a complete stranger and they will just smile and greet me and then offer me a seat. Whenever they are about to start eating something they will look up and say, "you're invited!" 
Q. Do people still call you Brohni?
All of the time!

Questions from Christie:
Q. What made you laugh this week?
A little girl named Blessing is scared to death of me and my white face. She used to start crying as soon as she saw me. She is slowly warming up to me and even gave me a high five the other day. It is so funny to watch her face when she is close to me.
Q. Who made your week better?
A recent convert named Johnson. Bro. Johnson lives in Sakumono Village and he LOVES the church. Every time we visit him I am amazed by his faith. He recently started the Book of Mormon from the beginning and plans to read through to the end. He is so positive and funny. You just have to smile when you are around him.
Q. Has it been raining there?
Not much. Last night it rained for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Q. What was the best lesson you taught?
A couple of weeks ago we learned that Bro. Godsway's mother is a less active member of the church. This week we were able to sit down with her to teach about the Restoration. Although she had heard it before, I could feel the Spirit witnessing to her that the Church of Jesus Christ has indeed been restored. I hope that her and her family will become strong and faithful in the church.
Q. Who can we pray for this week?
Any prayers for Sis. Joyce would be appreciated.

Questions from Mom:
Q. How are the barbershop boys? How is Benjamin in particular?
Benjamin is the only one who is still around. He is doing well and we still love stopping by to see him, but I am not sure if it is quite his time to receive the Gospel. We will keep trying to help him along though!
Q. How much did you weigh when you left home?  (Dad and I think you need to eat more!!)
Haha I weighed about 142 when I left home. Two days ago I weighed myself and it was the same.
Q. How is Brother Fortunate doing in his quest to stop drinking?
He is doing so well! For two weeks now I haven't been able to detect any scent of alcohol around him. He really wants to be baptized, so we are working towards September 10 for that.
Q. People in Sierra Leone think whites sent Ebola?  What does Elder Kallon think of whites?
Yep. He is fine with whites. He just thinks that some of us sent Ebola...
Q. How is Princess doing?
She is great! Her family has traveled to their hometown while they have a break from school. They should return soon.
Q. Funniest moment of the week…..?
My companion and I went to Benjamin's barbershop and he was cutting a funny man's hair. The man went on a big rant about how he hates technology, so we turned off the lights and told Benjamin to continue with the haircut. Haha it was sooo funny.
Q. Most spiritual experience of the week….?
My most spiritual moment this week came as we were teaching Selina the importance of the Sabbath. As we were teaching I remembered my first Sunday in Ghana. I was totally homesick. As I showered that morning I cried my eyes out for a good ten minutes. Then I started thinking that this was going to be my life for the next two years. But when we went to church I was overcome with a feeling of peace. I knew that the Savior was by my side and that God was watching over my family. It is because of those feelings that I am still here in Ghana some 13 months later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment