Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

The Mountain of the Lord

 Ghana Accra Temple
Bernice's baptism

Dear Family and Friends,
          I hope that all is going well. Right now in Ghana the sky is a gloomy gray and it looks like it wants to rain. I hope that is does. Over the last couple of months we have had very little rain which means more dust and expensive food. Oh well. 
          On Tuesday we had district council at our chapel. Our office couple, the Paces, joined us. We had a great discussion about the things we can accomplish if we allow ourselves to become tools in the hands of the Master. That is one great truth I have learned over the last year. "As to my own strength, I am weak", but when I give myself over to the Savior "weak things become strong". Too often I try to rely upon my own strength and wisdom, but quite frankly compared to God I really don't know a whole lot. Thank heavens I have access to the infinite and perfect Atonement.
          Last Monday President Heid called to check up on my companion and then he invited us to come to the temple on Friday! Best thing ever. In preparation for going to the Lord's House I decided to do some study about temples in the scriptures. One verse stood out to me. "Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths". That is the beautiful purpose of temples. To teach us the ways of Godliness. To allow us to walk on the path that will one day lead us to become like our Father in Heaven. When we actually entered the temple that was exactly what I experienced. I came closer to my creator.
          That is all the time I have for today. I love you all lots and I miss you like crazy! Have a super week and I will do the same.
Love,
Elder Radmall

Elder Kallon at the temple.

Questions from Mom:
Q. How is Elder Kallon doing?  Is the itching better now that he quit taking the Doxy?
Yes! That seems to have fixed the problem.
Q. Tell us about one investigator you are teaching right now?
We have an investigator living in Sakumono named Godsway. His brother (a member who lives in another part of Accra) brought him to church a couple of weeks ago. Godsway is 19 and just completed high school. He loves the Gospel and we have a baptismal date in place for him. A couple of weeks ago he came to church an hour early before anyone had even opened the gate! I love him.
Q. Best lesson this week?
This week we taught Sister Bernice about the temple and baptisms for the dead. What a wonderful thought, that we can help all of God's children, including our own family members and friends who have passed away. Bernice seemed to like the idea and she is willing to prepare to go to the temple.
Q. How is your bike doing?
It is alright. We get a lot of flat tires with the crazy roads we are always riding on, but other than that it is fine.
Q. How is Sister Heid?
I think she is feeling better. Her mother passed away a couple of weeks ago, so she went home to speak at the funeral. I am not sure if she has returned yet.
Q. Favorite food you ate this week?
This week we went to the Boakye's home and they prepared us some amazing fried rice with lots of vegetables. Ghana has really made me appreciate vegetables. They don't eat enough of them here!
Q. Did you have to have the electrical outlets repaired after the crazy power surge?
No. We did have to get our water pump fixed though. One of the cords giving it power was fried.
Q. Does the heat and humidity become normal after you have lived with it for a year?
Yes. I am actually worried about how I will adjust when I come home. Now, when I sit in air conditioning for too long I feel cold and want to go back outside into the sun.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. What is your favorite Olympic sport?
Curling. :)
Q. What sports do they play in Ghana?
Soccer... that's about it.
Q. How old is your companion?
26
Q. When do transfers happen next?
In 4 weeks.
Q. When do you go to Accra again?

I am not sure. For now we have no planned trips.

Photo of me taken by a 4 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment