Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up

Elder Frandsen blowing out his birthday candles.

Hello everybody!
          I hope that you all had a great week. I know that I sure did. This week Ghana had some serious rain! I started looking around for Noah. The winds were unbelievable, and the lightning and thunder were absolutely awesome. Unfortunately our windows are just a bunch of glass panes that don't seal tightly. Our kitchen took on a little bit of water, but we survived. Unfortunately our clothes lines, with my clothes hanging on them, did not. Oh well.
          We have some awesome people we are working with right now. We have a couple of part-member families who are expecting some baptisms very soon! We also have an awesome investigator named Bobby. He is a young man going to a university in our area. He was referred to us by a member. He is so willing to do anything necessary to learn if the message of the Restoration is true. On Sunday we had the member who referred him bring him to church, and he had a great experience. I will keep you updated on how he is doing.
          This week I was really struggling to know whether Heavenly Father is pleased with my missionary efforts. Sometimes I feel like I am just so inexperienced. I start to believe that I am letting others down, including God. This week as I thought about it I realized that I am in fact a very much unprofitable servant. But that doesn't mean that Heavenly Father isn't pleased with me. I can honestly say, though I am far from perfect, that I am trying to improve each and every day. I can't do much by my own strength, but the great thing about the Plan of Salvation is I don't need to do it by my own strength. If I just put forth my best effort, and I have faith in the Savior, God will qualify me for the work. I don't need to be perfect, I just need to be striving. The Gospel is so perfect for us imperfect people!
          We had a birthday in our district yesterday. Elder Frandsen turned 19. To celebrate we had brownies and ice cream. It was heavenly. Then we played some ping pong at the apartment. 
          Our dear members fed us a lot of banku this week. It was delicious, but I am becoming fat from eating too much banku. Pretty much all of their foods here are straight carbs. Oh well. I guess worse things have happened than becoming fat because people like to feed you. 
          Ghana is such a wonderful place. I am so grateful that God has blessed me with the opportunity to spend two years with these humble and loving people. I want nothing but the best for them, and that is exactly what the Gospel offers. God lives and Jesus Christ is His son, the Savior of the world. He loves us each perfectly. I hope you all have a great week!
Love,
Elder Radmall

 Birthday Brownies
Throwback to the MTC with my comp Elder Johnson

Questions from Christie:
Q. How hot is it? 
It feels like I am in Florida, but it is always summer.
Q. How often does it rain?
Last week we had two big storms. I think the rainy season has finally arrived.
Q. How is your bike holding up?
Pretty well! I am surprised how long it has been since I needed to get it fixed.
Q. Who touched you the most this week? 
A sweet old man in our ward. He hasn't been a member for long. We were helping him with a temple prep. assignment and after we finished he insisted on feeding us banku. This man has next to nothing, but he was willing to share with us.
Q. What was your favorite scripture this week? 
Mosiah 15: 29-31
Q. Who did you serve this week? 
I tried to help Elder Frandsen have an awesome birthday.
Q. Who served you this week? 
Sister Sarah made us some delicious fried rice!
Q. How is your health?
Sweet! I am alive and kicking.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. What is the ward building like that you meet in?
It is actually pretty close to a chapel back home. The biggest differences are all tile floors and windows that are always open.
Q. How old is your companion?
He will turn 22 next month.
Q. When do you get to go to the temple next? 
Elder Kambwiri just filled out a family history sheet, so as soon as the names have been processed by a man in our ward I will text president to see when we can go to the temple.

Questions from Mom:
Q. Do the youth in Ghana attend seminary?  If so, who teaches it?
Yeah. They do seminary through the wards. Each ward calls someone to teach.
Q. Do the youth have youth conferences?  What about girl’s camp and scouting?
Not really that I have seen. There is definitely no scouting or girl's camp, but living in Ghana pretty much automatically qualifies you to be an Eagle Scout I think.
Q. What made you laugh this week?
An adorable and very fat baby in our ward. I don't know his name, but we call him obolo. It means chubby in Twi.
Q. What are you grateful for this week?
This week I am just grateful for God's love. There is no better feeling than to know that someone loves you perfectly no matter what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment