Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

New Faces

Elder Itepu (ee-tay-poo) Bryan's new companion from Nigeria.

Dear Family and Friends,
          It has been a crazy and wonderful week. On Tuesday I went to Accra where I picked up my new companion, Elder Itepu! He is from Nigeria. He has been a member for four years. He is a fantastic guy, and I love him already. He can cook! I find that our apartment is much more united when we all cook together every night. Tuesday night we introduced our trainees to their new home for the next three months. On Wednesday we hit the ground running and went to work. This week we walked a ton, but the results were well worth it. On Thursday we had zone training, and Sister Brown brought her heavenly banana bread. In Nkurarkan we contacted a man named Eric. As we talked about the Gospel the Spirit taught him. On our second visit he said he wanted to become a member and asked what he needed to do to be baptized! Wow! I look forward to working with him. Yesterday was Brother Deny's confirmation, which was lovely to witness. 
          A miracle happened this week. Elder Itepu was asking me if we could get potatoes. We were working with a member who quickly lead us to a lady selling potatoes! I had a baked potato and french fries on Saturday night. It was heaven. These potatoes are different though. They are like a cross between a regular and a sweet potato. Sunday night we made our favorite dinner. Spaghetti! We make a delicious spaghetti sauce with corned beef. The weather here has gone from hot to boiling. I have never sweat so much in my life! Thank heavens for showers. 
          This week I am grateful for the prophet Joseph Smith. It is amazing to look at all that he has done for the world. I love every chance I get to tell the story of the First Vision. I know that Joseph Smith did in fact see God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. They called him to restore the only true church to the earth. Through him the fullness of the Gospel is available once more to God's children. How blessed we are by that great man.
          I love and miss all of you more than you can ever know. I pray each morning and night for you. I hope that you are all carrying on in doing God's will. Have a great week and remember to make good choices! Peace!
Love, Elder Radmall

Questions from Mom
Q. How many siblings does your companion have?
I believe 5.
Q. Where is Elder Bodily from? (He is one of the elders in Bryan's apartment, and was also in his MTC district.)
Hyrum, Utah.
Q. What is his new companion’s name?
Elder Dougal 
Q. What country is he from?
Idaho. It's a country.
Q. What new fact do you want to tell us this week about Ghana?  Something that you find interesting or surprising?
Q. Writing someone's name in red pen means they are going to die. Who knew??
Q. How many people at church can read?
Most of them. It's mostly the elderly that can't.
Q. Do you have a literacy program where you help them learn to read and write English?  (I read that Twi is a spoken language – that is does not have an alphabet.)
Q. Not that I have seen. It can be written in English. We have Twi Book of Mormon's even.

Questions from Dad
Q/ Where is the other new companion in your apartment from?
Blackfoot Idaho!
Q. Do you have to pay any bills as DL, or does the mission office handle all of that?
I pay our water and electricity bill for the apartment. That's about it.

Questions from Kurt
Q. What item did you bring that you have found very little use for?
Jeans. The day I wear them here in Ghana is the day I die.
Q. What's the coolest thing you've bought since being in Ghana? 
I bought some sweet beads. I want to buy a lot more, but I will wait for a while.
Q. Have you stopped wearing deodorant yet?
Haha not yet. I'll let you know when that happens.

Questions from TeriAnn
Q. How is the DL thing going?
Good. I am still getting used to it and learning what is expected of me, but I know God can qualify me.
Q. Did you watch conference yet?
Sadly, no.  (I, his mother, have been sending him excerpts of talks each week in my email.)
Q. What is the best thing that happened this week?
Having an investigator tell us in the second lesson he wanted to become a member!
Q. What are two new things you learned this week. Spiritual and from the Ghanaian culture? 
Spiritually, I learned that God can bless us to love and serve others we thought we couldn't get along with. About Ghana, I don't know if I learned much. They love to add "o" to the end of words. Evening'o!!!
          
Questions from Christie
Q. Where was Deny baptized? In a font and if so how did you fill it?
In a font in our church. We fortunately have running water, so it was no problem.
Q. How many miles do you walk a week and how many do you ride on your bike?
I don't really know. I walk maybe 5 or 6 miles and bike maybe 4 or 5 miles a day.
Q. What is the coolest thing about your new companion?
He can cook! He loves to make food for the whole apartment. And he knows a lot of awesome scriptures.
Q. What lesson did you teach this week that you found most significant or were you most touched by?
I loved every chance I had to talk about the First Vision this week. It is such a powerful story that everyone needs to know.
Q. What made you laugh this week?
When I dropped my bowl of spaghetti and the sauce splattered all over the apartment. It looked like a murder scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment