Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

The Work Rolls On

Hello Family and Friends!

What a fantastic week! Happy late Mother's Day to all of you wonderful women out there who love and care for those around you. You are great! It was a delight to be able to talk to some of the fam yesterday. I wish I could have called everyone, but I was especially grateful to be able to wish mom a Happy Mother's Day. I have the best mom in the world. She has sacrificed all of her time and given all of her energy to being a mother and it has blessed me far more than words can say. Love you mom! 

The last couple of weeks in our area have been a little bit challenging. We have a lot of wonderful people we are teaching, and many of them have visited the church and love it. They believe it is true and that Joseph Smith is a prophet. The only problem is that they have stopped visiting church. We teach them each week and they make a firm commitment to come on Sunday, but when Sunday rolls around they are nowhere to be found. It is hard to see these brothers and sisters who have found the truth, but are not yet willing to fully commit themselves to it. But I have faith that at the right time they will act upon what they believe. I will continue to pray for them and to love them and teach them what I know to be true. I pray that I am sowing seeds which others will reap. 

This week we were able to go on an exchange with the Haatso elders! Elder Tolzmann, from Nevada, and Elder Ceboy, from Liberia. I worked with Elder Ceboy. We had an awesome day biking, talking, and teaching. He has only been a member for a few years, but his knowledge of the Gospel is great and he is a powerful teacher. 

Yesterday we had a great church service. All of the primary children shared their testimony about mothers. Then they sang a couple of songs. It was hilarious and adorable. I was just smiling the whole time. After church the Lord blessed us with a little miracle. While we were biking to our apartment to get some lunch a man waved us down. He told us he attended church once with a friend two years ago. He was trying to locate the church so that he can start attending. We quickly forgot about lunch and took him straight to the chapel. We gave him a little tour and introduced him to our bishop. This week we will meet with him. I am excited! 

I am still working my way through the Book of Mormon with the hope that I will finish it before returning home.  This morning as I was reading in chapter four of Mosiah a couple of verses struck my heart.  

2 And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.

3 And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them.
As I read these verses I started to reflect on the times when I have messed up and given in to the natural man.  I tried to think of my many shortcomings and my acts of disobedience.  But as I did so I realized that I could scarcely remember specific sins that I have committed, although they are many.  Instead, the Spirit brought to my remembrance the sweet feelings of peace that I experienced as I repented and applied "the atoning blood of Christ" in my own life.  How grateful I am for the healing and forgiveness and mercy I have experienced through applying the Gospel.  It is my prayer to help my brothers and sisters around me to feel that same joy that the Savior offers to all people.  He can blot out our transgressions and reconcile us to God.  In the words of Isaiah, "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Sorry for the long letter. I know the church is true. The Gospel changes lives and I want to do all I can to share it in my last four weeks here! I love you all and I am grateful for your prayers and support. Have a great week.
Love,
Elder Radmall

Questions from Mom:
Q. How are your toes??  I have an appointment with a podiatrist for you!!
They are okay. I can still walk, so nothing to complain about. 
Q. What did you teach your children investigators this week?
This week we sadly weren't able to teach them. Hopefully this week we will pass by them. 
Q. Most spiritual moment of the week?
I think my most spiritual moment this week came in a less with a man named Godwin. We were teaching him the Restoration. While Elder Scott and I bore testimony that the Gospel has been restored and that the Lord has once again called a prophet in our days the Spirit testified to my heart of those things. It was a powerful testimony builder. 
Q. Funniest moment of the week?
While on my exchange with Elder Ceboy we stopped at a chop bar to get something to eat. I ordered my favorite food, rice balls and groundnut soup. With our bellies full we moved on to greet some members. I guess they were expecting us because they immediately brought out a meal for us. Two big bowls of rice balls and groundnut soup... I just about burst into laughter when I saw it. I managed to finish it all. 
Q. What person you have met in Ghana has had the most profound impact on you?
There is no way that I can answer that question. So many people have touched me and influenced me in ways that I can't put into words. 
Q. Tell us about another person in your ward….(loved hearing about your bishop)
The Aggrey family have been members of the church in Ghana far longer than I have been alive. They joined in the early 80's and were among the leading pioneers of the church in Ghana. Bro. Aggrey served in the bishopric of one of the first wards in Ghana. He was in that calling when the freeze came, insisting that all church activity stop. Several of the members in their ward continued holding sacrament meetings in the Aggrey's home. Now almost all of their children have served missions. They are an amazing family. 

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. Do they celebrate Mother's Day in Ghana?
They sure do!
Q. Who has been the most important mother figure for you in Ghana?
Sis. Rosslyn in Koforidua, Sis. Adjei in Nungua, and now it is Sis. Antoinette here in Danfa. I have been blessed with great Ghanaian mothers! 

Sister Rosslyn and Sister Janet - Bryan's Koforidua moms.

Sister Howard, Bryan's Nungua Grandma.

Sister Antoinette, Bryan's Danfa Mom.
(I love these women who have cared for Elder Radmall while he has been far from home.  Sadly, I do not have a photo of Sister Adjei.)

Q. What is your favorite thing about your mother?
Everything. She is pretty much just perfect. I especially love her devotion to the Gospel and her love for the Savior. 
Q. What is one or two things you really hope to do with your last four weeks there? 
See a lion. 

News from the mission:
We received the news below in President Heid's weekly letter.  Bryan served in Koforidua for the first 9 months of his mission.  He loves the people there.  Sadly, he will be home when this conference takes place.  But what a great announcement and a great blessing for the city and the people that are the closest to his heart.  Here's the news:

We enjoyed a wonderful District Conference at Koforidua, where I presided for the last time on my mission.  Can you imagine my joy in being given permission to make this announcement as I bore my final testimony on Sunday?  This was a letter addressed to the Area Presidency and to me, from the office of the First Presidency:

Dear Brethren.
In a recent meeting of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, approval was given to create the Koforidua Ghana Stake from the Koforidua Ghana District, Ghana Accra Mission. This will take place at a conference to be held on June 24-25, 2017.  In addition to the creation of this new unit, approval was given to CREATE SEVEN WARDS.

Pretty fun, huh?  Many of you have worked in Koforidua Zone, and ALL of you have bloomed where you have been planted even if you have not yet been to Koforidua.  ALL of you have contributed in this tremendous achievement by the Ghana Accra Mission Family.
Three years ago when I arrived there were three units in Koforidua.  Now there are eleven!

We describe the above date as a tender mercy, as it will be in our last week of service.  You are welcome to rejoice with us.
Have a great week.  I am enjoying our interviews and Zone Conferences.  Keep on keeping on.

Love, President and Sister Heid

We received Bryan's travel plans this week, as well as this letter from his mission president:

Parents of Elder Radmall
13 West 560 South
Orem, UT  84058

Dear Parents of Elder Radmall:

We are pleased to inform you that Elder Radmall will be completing his missionary service in the Ghana Accra Mission on 13 June 2017.
           
Elder Radmall has served faithfully and worked diligently to share the message of Jesus Christ with others while strengthening his own testimony and knowledge of the restored gospel. He has also contributed as a leader in his service as a Senior Companion, Trainer, District Leader, and Zone Leader.   He carried out his assignments with diligence and dedication, a mark of a true disciple of Jesus Christ.

As Elder Radmall has served, he has acquired a deep understanding of the gospel and has been blessed with a great love for the people of Ghana.  He has been a wonderful example of all that the Savior taught.  He leaves the mission field with honor and distinction.

We will miss working with Elder Radmall and pray he will keep in touch with us and let us know of his accomplishments in the years ahead. Thank you for sharing your son with us. We pray for his continued success and for the happiness and health of your family.

Sincerely,
President David L. Heid
Ghana Accra Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment