Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sheltering the Homeless


Sorry this is coming a day late. The power went out yesterday while I was writing.

Dear Family and Friends,
          I hope that you are all doing great! My time today is limited, so I will try to keep it relatively short. We once again had a great week in the service of God! We were able to find some great new people to start teaching. One of them is named Hannah. Hannah comes from a part member family and her brother just started his mission (in Nigeria). She has been raised as a Muslim, but several months ago started living with her mom who is a member of the church. In our first lesson she told us that she wants to be baptized and to serve a mission like her brother... cool. I think we might be able to help her out with that.
          On Saturday Sister Selina entered the waters of baptism!! At first she was a little concerned and didn't understand why she needed to have an interview before being baptized, but as we explained the importance of being worthy for baptism her heart was softened and she was willing. Her baptismal service was lovely and well attended by members of the ward. We even made brownies to share afterwards. On Sunday Elder Kallon and I had the privilege of participating in her confirmation. 
          Due to our ward splitting to form Sakumono and Nungua 2nd Wards our proselyting area will also be splitting. Since Elder Kallon and I know both of the areas we are going to split up and each get a new companion. Elder Kallon will work in Sakumono while I take on Nungua 2nd Ward. My new companion is Elder Fuller. He is an African American from Maryland. I think I can still say that all of my companions have been African. He should arrive tomorrow. I will miss Elder Kallon, but not too much. We will still be staying in the same apartment.
          Speaking of apartments, ours is about to be in a serious crisis. Last week there were two of us living in our apartment. On Friday two of the elders from our district moved in. No problem. I can handle four people in an apartment. Tonight the other two elders from our district will be moving in (their previous apartment is being abandoned because the water isn't running, someone tried to burn it down, and it is right by a very loud church). Six people is a little bit too much for me to handle in our apartment. Then tomorrow Elder Kallon and I will be receiving our two new companion bringing us to a grand total of EIGHT hungry, messy, smelly, sweaty, and noisy elders in one apartment! Wow! How long will this last? Until they find us a new apartment in Sakumono. It will be an exciting week with many uncomfortable bonding experiences! Haha I can't wait!
          I love you all so much! I know that the Gospel is true. It has the power to transform anyone who will embrace. The Savior lives and loves us. Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Radmall

Questions from Mom:
Q. How were your baptisms?  Did you have 3 yesterday as hoped?
We only ended up having one baptism, but it was a lovely service with a lot of people in attendance. 
Q. Did you get a new camera?
Nope. I still have a little hope for my camera.
Q. Did you make frosting?
Yes! We had banana bread with chocolate frosting. We took it for a FHE last Monday and it was a big hit!
Q. Have you found new investigators this week?
Yes. We have found some solid new investigators this week. I am hopeful for some of them to get baptized in the near future.
Q. Funniest moment of the week?
One of the funniest moments I had this week was looking through the pictures of everyone who has served in the quorum of the twelve apostles. There were some very unfortunate hairstyles and some very sweet beards/staches in the early days of the church.
Q. Most spiritual moment of the week?
In sacrament meeting as we sang hymn 2 (The Spirit of God) I was pretty overwhelmed by the spirit. It has been a while since I really thought about the words of that song. They are powerful. We live in a wonderful and exciting time!
Q. How have angels watched over you this week?
Angels have watched over me as I was weaving through traffic on my bike, trying not to lose my crazy companion! Don't worry mom, I had my helmet on.

Questions from Kurt:
Q. How are your bowel movements?
Not to bad. I haven't had diarrhea all weak! 
Q. What's been the best experience at church recently?
Yesterday we talked about the sacrament in the third hour (in both wards). I learned a lot about the significance the sacrament has to me. Although the bread and water alone cannot grant us salvation, they can grant us access to the atonement of Jesus Christ which can save us. I love getting to partake of the sacrament each week.
Q. What kinds of musical numbers or choir performances do the wards' have?
We are pretty blessed to have a great choir in Sakumono Ward. They take all of their songs from the hymn book and they do a great job and even sing in parts.
Q. When recently were you led by the Spirit to say or do something, or to go somewhere? What was the outcome?
On Friday President Heid asked us to give a blessing to a very concerned sister. She is about 8 months pregnant and having some complications with the pregnancy. The doctors are telling her they will have to induce labor. When I asked her if there were any specific blessings she was looking for, she responded that she just wanted to have a natural delivery. In the blessing I felt prompted not to promise her a natural delivery, but to make her aware that God knows her and loves her and that He has a plan for her and her family. I am not sure of the outcome, and I may never find out what happens, but I can say that God taught me a lesson that day.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. Any temple trips lately?
Nope. Sadly not.
How are your feet these days?
Q. They are just swell! One of my toes still looks pretty ugly from the surgery, but they don't hurt.
Q. How was church yesterday? How many people attended?
It was great and long! I was so lucky I got to take the sacrament twice. We had maybe 60-70 people in each ward.
Q. What was your favorite thing you ate this week?
This afternoon we went to prepare food with an investigator. I decided we should make fried rice. It was my first time making fried rice, but it turned out AMAZING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment