Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Failed Appointments and Barbershop Boys

 Beach Boys

Dear Family and Friends,
          This was a bit of a challenging week for Elder Kambwiri and I.  We spent a lot of time riding to meet with investigators only to find out that they weren't around or couldn't find any time for us.  It started to discourage me at first.  I have never had so many failed appointments in one week.  It seemed that all of our efforts were wasted, but then I realized that God's will is greater than my own.  I decided to stop focusing so much on teaching all of the people I wanted to, so I could instead devote myself to teaching those who the Lord had prepared for us.  In the end we were lead to some wonderful new people to begin sharing our message with.
          We were overjoyed to see one of our investigators, Joel Shaduka, baptized and confirmed this week.  He has been taught by missionaries for many months, and on Saturday he was at long last able to be washed clean of all his sins.  It is exciting to see someone given the chance to start fresh.  Not only are they starting fresh, but they also have a new companion to help them on their journey.  The Holy Ghost can lead them back to their heavenly home. 
          I want you all to know that being a missionary does not in any way make someone immune to doubts. They can and do come. This week I had some doubts that started creeping into my mind. Mostly it was concerning Joseph Smith and the story of the Restoration. It is a message that I share almost every day, but I started to realize this week that my own testimony about Joseph Smith was diminishing. I though to myself "If I don't believe the message I am sharing then why on earth am I here in Ghana". I prayed fervently about it and finally came to the decision to fast. So on Wednesday I began fasting after lunch. Throughout my fast I really thought about Joseph's story and what it means. Finally, as I was concluding my fast, I read Joseph Smith's own account of what happened to him. As I was reading no angel appeared to me to tell me it was true. I was not overwhelmed to the point of tears. No voice came thundering from heaven. Rather, I just started to feel peace inside. I had the thought, "Bryan, you know it is true. You have always known it is true." Is the Spirit not wonderful?
          We have three investigators who are absolutely hilarious! They all hang out at a barbershop all day and we love to go and see them. Their names are Ben, Mike, and Patrick. They talk about everything from politics, to sports, to food, to what life is like in America. Haha they make us laugh like crazy. I don't know if I have mentioned this, but the West Africa MTC for the Jehovah's Witnesses' is right by our apartment. That is fun...
          That is all of the time I have today. I hope that you all have a great week and know that I love you and miss you. Thank you so very much for all you do for me. God lives and loves us all!
Love,
Elder Radmall


Questions from Christie:
Q. What made you laugh this week?
The barbershop boys! That sounds like a band.
Q. What was the hardest part of your week?
Just having so many appointments fall through. 
Q. Who inspired you this week? 
I was inspired by a man named Michael who traveled a good distance to come to a church he is not a member of where he doesn't know anybody. Sadly, he doesn't live in our area, but that guy has courage.
Q. How is your health? 
Mostly good. My hands have become wrinkly and covered in dead skin, so it looks like I am eighty years old. I also have another ingrown toenail, but what can you do?
Q. What fun thing did you do this week?
I went to the beach again today which was awesome! I love the ocean.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. How is the weather this week?
This week it is hot and sunny as usual. We did have an amazing lightning storm on Sunday morning though. Sadly, my clothes were hanging out to dry.
Q. How are you and your companion getting along?
Wonderfully. He is awesome and we are good friends.
Q. Cockroaches? Are they all over your apartment?
Yep. Everywhere.
Q. What are the biggest differences between your old
area and your new area?
Q. People here are too busy. They don't have time for us. There are also a lot more cars here. Members here actually drive to church!
Q. Who is your favorite ward member so far?
Brother Seade. He is a great old man who loves to talk about the scriptures.
Q. What was your favorite lesson this week?
We taught a young man named Benjamin about the Book of Mormon and how it can change his life. I hope he reads. 

Questions from Momma:
Q. Do you tell people in Ghana before they are baptized about the revelation giving blacks the priesthood?
Not normally. 
Q. Funniest moment of the week?
When the barbershop boys started arguing about the best food in Ghana. The final decision was fufu with light soup and goat meat.
Q. You don’t mention washing your clothes much anymore.  Has it become easier?
A little bit. It's just a normal part of life now I guess.
Q. Are you still riding bikes in the city?
YES! Too much. We ride nonstop from morning until late at night. My legs are going to be beautiful when I get home.
Q. How have angels been with you this week?
They were with us as we prepared for the baptism on Saturday morning. Some things fell through and I was worrying myself, but in the end it all turned out perfectly.
Q. What service did you give this week?
I guess I cooked and ironed for Elder Kambwiri.


No comments:

Post a Comment