Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

A week of excitement!!

Sister Patience in white on her baptism day.

 New Christmas ties.

 Sister Patience with the branch president and 4 others being baptized.

Beauty of Koforidua

Dearest Family and Friends,
          I hope that you all had an amazing week! I know that I sure did. I don't have much time, so I will keep it brief. The coolest part of the whole week was Saturday morning when I witnessed five people enter the waters of baptism! The same day as Felicity's baptism! One of those five, Sister Patience, has been our investigator for the last couple of months. I am so happy for her and the second birth she has just experienced. She is a wonderful woman who truly loves her Savior. I know that God placed us on her path for a reason. At her baptism she started to cry. When we asked her why she was crying she replied, "yesterday I was so sick I couldn't even leave my room, but this morning when I woke up I was fine. Jesus has healed me." I know that the Savior did heal her, and not just physically. Then on Sunday all five of them were confirmed. I even got to do the confirmation for one of them! It was a great weekend.
          When we got home Sunday we found Elder Dougal madly packing his things. He was sent on emergency transfer to Ho. I hope that Ho will be a great place for him. He has been replaced by Brother Sakodie, a branch missionary from Accra. He has been serving longer than me! He hopes to receive his mission call very soon. He is a great guy. At first the thought of being the lone American in our apartment was scary. Me with two Nigerians and a Ghanaian. But it has actually been really awesome! We all get along super well. The Gospel is so great. It brings people together from the most diverse of backgrounds and allows us to establish lasting friendships. 
          This week we got a new shower head! Ours has been broken since I first arrived in Koforidua six months ago. The sun has been scorching here this week! I feel like I am melting. I can barely open my eyes at times because it is so bright. I guess I should use my sunglasses more. I am getting pretty good at speaking Twi. The people here LOVE when I greet them in Twi. I had an interesting experience this week while contacting. We met a man from Louisville, Kentucky! There you go Aaron and Jeanette.
I love you all so much! Have a great week!

Questions from mom:
Q. Sister Rosslyn told me your favorite food, but I did not quite understand her.   What is it?
It is rice balls and groundnut soup. Heavenly. 
(Note from Bryan's mom - Sister Rosslyn called me on Sunday - yes, from Ghana.  Bryan had just left her house and she called to tell me how much she loved Bryan.  I thanked her for being one of his angels and a second mother.  It was a joyful and unexpected blessing.)
Q. What does your branch president do for a living?
I am not really sure. He has some office job that seems to pay well.
Q. How many people come to church each Sunday?
Lately it has been getting pretty high. We have around 150 each week.

Questions from TeriAnn:
Q. What was your biggest adventure this week?
Riding on the main road late one night with cars flying by. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to hit us...
Q. When are the next transfers for you?
The middle of February. I have a feeling I will be leaving Koforidua.
Q. How many weeks have you been in Koforidua now?
About 27 I think.
Q. Is the sand dying down even more then the last time I asked?
It has actually picked back up again sadly.
Q. What is your favorite item/thing that someone on your mission has given you?
Our sweet African clothes from Sister Rosslyn. Everyone else gives us food, which is alright with me.  (Yup- that is the Sister Rosslyn who called me!!)
Q. What is something you would love to get in a package?
My nieces and nephews.
Q. What was the highlight of your week?
Seeing five people baptized and confirmed! How cool.

Questions from Kurt
Q. Who have you witnessed feel the Spirit this week?
Sister Patience as she was baptized and confirmed.
Q. Do you hear a lot of noise at night?
Yes. Frogs, crickets, churches shouting random things, lions roaring...
Q. What is Elder Itepu's favorite sport? Favorite hobby?
Soccer. His favorite hobby is also soccer. Pretty typical here in Ghana.
Q. What p-day activity are you hoping to get to do?
We are really boring these days. We just clean and write our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment